Onion Strings


You know those crunchy, delicious onion things that Red Robin puts on some of their burgers? I love them, so when I came across this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's website I had to try it.

They were heaven.

I didn't want to stop eating them. I had to though, because they are also not very healthy. Not something I would cook everyday, but my stomach is growling right now just thinking about them.

The Pioneer Woman gives detailed instructions how to make there here. I will also post the recipe below.

Onion Strings

Prep Time: 1 Hour | Cook Time: 15 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 2

Ingredients
* 1 whole Large Onion
* 2 cups Buttermilk
* 2 cups All-purpose Flour
* 1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
* ¼ teaspoons (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
* 1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
* Black Pepper To Taste

Instructions
Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside. (Betsy note: I split the dry ingredients into at least two different dishes. When I did it in just one, I found the the flour got too wet and clumpy before I was done.)

Heat oil to 375 degrees.

Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.

Repeat until onions are gone.