Two Bean Cornmeal Pie



I found this recipe on this blog. It is very simple, but very yummy.

TWO BEAN CORNMEAL PIE

* 1 onion chipped
* 1 TBL olive oil
* 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
* 1 garlic glove chopped or pressed
* 3/4 tsp cumin
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 1 can diced or chopped tomatoes (14 oz can)
* 1 cup frozen corn
* 2 cans beans (She used black and kidney beans. I used black and chili beans.)

Saute onion in oil. Add spices and tomatoes with its juices and cook on stove top till boiling. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans (rinsed, I didn't rinse the chili beans) and corn and heat through. Pour entire mixture into casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray (11 X 7 X 2)

Topping

* 3/4 Cup whole wheat flour (I used white since I didn't have any whole wheat)
* 3/4 Cup cornmeal
* 2 tsp sugar
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 egg
* 3/4 cup skim milk (I used 2%)
* 1 TBL canola oil

Mix together topping ingredients and spoon onto bean mixture already in casserole dish. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until topping is cooked through.